11 May 2008

Jack Thompson makes me smile

I love Jack Thompson. Well, no, I detest Jack Thompson, but he does amuse me in ways few people can. A few weeks ago he apparently sent a letter to Strauss Zelnick's mother. Zelnick is the chairman of Take-Two, who make games like GTA that taught me killing cops and hookers is cool. In the letter he quotes miscellaneous biblical passages (of course), saying that Zelnick's mother didn't raise him well and should've beat him more. He encourages her to have a gamer play through GTA for her, assuming she can find one not on death row (I wish there was a way to find out how many lawyers are on death row; I'm sure there's a website for this somewhere). The next time some teenager kills someone they need to say "Well, I used to take out my frustrations on video games, but then Jack Thompson took them all away, so I was forced to kill real people instead".

I really don't understand why Thompson bothers anymore; everytime he opens his mouth (so, every second of every day) I'm reminded of the quote, "Say anything you want about me as long as you spell my name right". Jack Thompson does more for GTA marketing-wise than Take-Two could ever hope to do. I haven't played any of the new GTAs. The last one I played was GTA2, when you actually stole cars, instead of the craziness it's morphed into today; I think Take-Two has actually forgotten what the acronym stands for. Despite how stupid I think the new games are, I'm actually tempted to try them solely because of all of Thompson's bitching. I want to see what all the fuss is about; I want to find out if I do feel the desperate urge to murder people after playing this game. And if I do play, I am absolutely going to e-mail him and let him know he's the only reason I bought the game. And he'll probably reply that I'm harassing him and threaten to throw me in jail, which will be pretty entertaining.

No comments: