08 March 2008

I counterfeited Vista. Apparently

It occurred to me today that I pretty much never update Vista, so I ran Windows Update. It found 40-some updates, so I told it to go crazy and install them all. I live on the edge like that. So then I restart, and get this:



A victim? Me? Damn the people I got Vista from! (I got Vista directly from Microsoft). I have no idea why it decided I stole Vista, but I click the resolve link, and it takes me directly to:



Er. OK then. I restarted, and everything was back to normal. So I have no idea why Microsoft decided I stole Vista, but at least they changed their minds pretty fast. I'm more confused why they decided to punish me by disabling, of all the features Vista has that I would need for day-to-day functionality, Aero. You stole Vista? No fancy graphics for you! Carry on with everything else though.

EDIT: I randomly discovered that this is apparently called "Reduced Functionality Mode", otherwise known as the "kill switch", and it will log you out after an hour, so apparently there were additional punishments in store had the resolution process not worked. Which is good, since more than one person told me the speed gain I got from having Aero off was probably the opposite of a punishment. It appears Microsoft has gotten rid of this in SP1, probably because it's unnecessary when users can't boot anymore

No comments: