05 March 2008

WTF Tkinter?

I'm learning Python for my programming paradigms class. I've used Python before for scripting stuff, but I've never done anything with the graphics part of it, and the first assignment was to make an animation using it. I have a help dialog in my program, which I wrote in wxWidgets. It looks like this:



Oooo. The green border is my theme, btw. So, it turns out Windows doesn't have wxWidgets by default, so if the program can't find wx, it will use Tkinter instead. That dialog looks like this:



Tkinter -- for shame! WTF? The same problem comes up in Java, the default Java L&F is really ugly, so then people tend to think Java programs as a whole are ugly. That is seriously the worst dialog I have ever seen; you really can't get the full effect in this thumbnail version of it, but the text in the actual dialog is all pixelated like somebody took the thumbnail version from above and magnified it to be a normal dialog size. Here's a crop of the full-size dialog:



I'm tempted to not offer help at all if the system doesn't have wxWidgets.

No comments: